The challenge is to create a password that you can remember, but is hard for anyone else to guess.
When you create a new password, make sure it:
- Is at least eight characters in length - the longer the better Includes upper and lower case letters, numerals and symbols
- Has at least one symbol character between the second and sixth position
- Has at least four different characters in your password (no repeats)
- Looks like a sequence of random letters and numbers
Make sure you:
- Don't use any part of your logon name for your password
- Don't use any actual word or name in any language
- Don't use numbers in place of similar letters
- Don't re-use any portion of your old password
- Don't use consecutive letters or numbers like "abcdefg" or "234567"
- Don't use adjacent keys on your keyboard like "qwerty" (British keyboard)
For more information read the Microsoft article at www.microsoft.com/security/articles/password.asp